While marriage crises for our clients can be unexpected, how to handle this situation shouldn’t be. There are several steps and tools within Redtail that can be used to track this life change and keep you from making embarrassing errors down the road.
1. Update the Family Relationship by removing the Spouse from the current family. Removing the contact from the family does not delete the contact from the CRM. *Remember, a contact can only belong to one family at a time, so if there are any dependents pick which parent to link for the dependents.
2. Create a new Family Name for the now ex- spouse. The ex-spouse will now be their own family Head of Household.
3. Use Memberships to link each Head of Household to their now ex-spouse. You only need to add this relationship under one contact's memberships section as it will automatically connect on the second contact's membership.
4. For the parent that does not have the children listed within the family, link this parent to children under Memberships.
5. Update Marital Status and remove Marital Anniversary for the original Head of Household.
6. Update Marital Status and remove Marital Anniversary for the ex-spouse. Simultaneously (and if applicable), update the Status and Category for the ex-spouse.
7. Update the Contact Card, and make sure to select primary & preferred contact information for both contacts. Keep in mind both contacts are now their own Head of Households for each of their specific families, so you will no longer see shared Home contact information.
8. Update/add/remove any applicable Tag Groups, Keywords, and/or UDFs to help maintain important information for each contact.
8. If the ex-spouse has changed/updated their name, update the contact record to reflect this change.