Contact email addresses are stored within Redtail on their Contact Card, which is accessible for viewing as a popup from the Top Right Menu Bar or for viewing and editing on their Contact Overview page:
To view a contact's Contact Card popup from anywhere in their record, click the Contact Card icon in the Top Right Menu Bar:
If you are on a Contact's Overview page, you can view and edit their Contact Card on the page itself:
In our example above, this contact already has two email addresses added to their record. Let's take a look at adding a new one.
To add a new email address, click the Add button in the top right corner of the Contact Card and select "Email":
You'll then see an Add Email Address modal:
Email Type: click inside this box to select Home, Work or Other.
Email Address: enter your desired Email Address.
Custom Title: you can provide a custom title for the email address here. Your custom title will show up on the Contact Card in place of the Email Type you selected. As an example of how you might use this, you might enter the name of your contact's place of employment as a custom title for a work email address.
Long Description: use this to track more detailed information about the email address, if desired.
You can also check off here to indicate if an email address is the contact's Primary and/or Preferred email address. Note: a contact's Primary Email address is the one that will be used when including that contact in a Broadcast Email. Further note that while a contact can have multiple Email Addresses marked as Primary, only the last one checked off as Primary will function as the Primary Email Address. A completed version of this modal might look like the below:
When finished entering your information, just click "Add Email Address". If you then look at the Contact Card, it might look like the below:
It's easy to pick out the email addresses on the Contact Card because of the @ icon to their left. But, note that, with Custom Types, it's also easy to see at a glance which email address might be appropriate for the topic you are emailing about. If you were sending an email that related in some way to this contact's relationship with the Scranton Symphony Orchestra as a board member, you'd be able to pick that email address out quickly and easily. Note: you can see the Long Description you provided by clicking on the Type (or Custom Title) to bring up the Update Email Address modal.
Now, let's take a quick look at what Actions are available for an existing email address from the Actions menu at the end of their row:
In this case, we've clicked the Actions menu for the Email Address listed as "Scranton Symphony Orchestra":
- Edit — this brings up the same modal you see when adding an Email Address, allowing you to make edits to any of those fields you previously entered for this address.
- Make Primary —this allows you to designate the Email Address as the Primary Email Address.
- Send message — clicking this will open up a compose message window addressed to this email address, using either Redtail's internal email client or your external email client, dependent upon what you have selected within your Email Site Preferences.
- View archives — if you subscribe to Redtail's email archiving service, this will take you to your archived messages for this email address.
- Timeline — displays a history of changes to the email address within your database.
- Delete — removes the email address from your database. Note: performing this action will also remove messages to or from the address from your archive if you subscribe to Redtail's email archiving service.