Broadcast Emails provide you with a method of sending out an email to any number of your contacts, personalized to each recipient through the use of acceptable Email Merge Fields (listed in Step #5 below). Let’s take a look at how you go about sending out a Broadcast Email (accessible from the Contact Options —> Bulk Actions menu on the Advanced Search page after running your search):
After you have selected the group of Contacts you want to include in your Broadcast Email from the Advanced Search page, you can then click the Broadcast Email option that appears after clicking Bulk Actions, as indicated above:
This will open a Compose Broadcast Email dialog for you to begin composing your message. *NOTE: If you haven't provided your SMTP settings in your Site Preferences, you will need to do so prior to using the Broadcast Email functionality. Instructions for providing this information can be found at the end of this post.
1. Email Template - this allows you to select an Email Template from your database to use for the Broadcast Email. Learn more here.
2. From – The From field is the email address that will be displayed to the recipients of your Broadcast Email. You can set this up under Manage Your Account —> Change Site Preferences in the Email Options section in the SMTP Username field. Details are here.
3. To – The To field indicates how many records you selected on the Advanced Search page to include in your Broadcast Email.
4. Subject – Whatever you type in the Subject line will show up as the Subject of the Broadcast Email for your recipients.
5. Attachments — you can click Choose Files to then browse your computer or network for files to attach to your Broadcast Email:
Please Note: Files must be 3MB or smaller to attach to Broadcast Emails.
6. Body– The Body area of your Broadcast Email is where you can create the message you would like to send:
Note that above the text box for entering your message you are provided with some common formatting tools. You can use these tools to format any of the text you enter into your Message Body.
Additionally, you have the ability to create a standard signature to use in all Broadcast Emails (you can see mine in the example above, highlighted in yellow) under Manage Your Account --> Change Site Preferences --> Email Options in the Email Signature field. Once you have set up an Email Signature there, it will automatically populate your Broadcast Emails. Details are here.
As an example, if you wanted your email to begin with “Dear John Doe,” you would enter the following above the body of your message:
Dear ##Firstname## ##Lastname##,
Then, all of your emails would be addressed to each client using their First and Last Names.
As a last note about composing the body of your Message, you can insert images into your Broadcast Emails, as long as the image is available on the web somewhere which will allow you to link to it. To include an image:
- Prepare the rest of your message in the Broadcast Email window.
- Locate the image on the web, wherever you have it stored. Right-click on the image and select the option that allows you to copy the URL for the image itself. Depending upon where the image is, this might be accessible by selecting Properties after right-clicking. Once you've located the URL for the image, copy that URL.
- Then, within your Broadcast Email, click the Insert Image button in the toolbar:
This will open up an Insert Image modal, where you can then copy the URL for the image you want to include:
- Enter the URL for the image in the highlighted area above - you should then see a preview of it in the Preview area above. Then click the OK button.
7. Send Broadcast Email – Note that there are two selection boxes and three buttons here: Save Copy as Note, Send Me A Copy, Cancel, Send Broadcast Email and Send Test Broadcast Email:
If you select Save Copy as Note, your Broadcast Email will be saved to each contact record to whom it is sent as a Note.
If you select Send Me A Copy, you'll also receive the Broadcast Email.
If you click Cancel, you will be returned to your Advanced Search results and no Broadcast Email will be sent.
If you click Send Broadcast Email, your email will be sent to all recipients on the list that have an Email 1 address entered within their record. You can check the status at a later time by going to Manage Your Account —> Manage Broadcast Emails.
If you click Send Test Broadcast Email, a copy of the Broadcast Email will be sent to your email address w/o sending to everyone else on this list. This is always a good idea as it allows you to proof the final look of your Broadcast Email prior to sending it to everyone on your list. These are the basics of creating and sending Broadcast Emails within Redtail.
You will not be able to use Redtail's Broadcast Email functionality if you have not entered your SMTP settings for you email account within Redtail's Site Preferences.
You can provide this information under Manage Your Account —> Change Site Preferences:
On your Site Preferences page, scroll until you see the Email Options section:
The sections which apply in regards to your SMTP Settings are the last five fields here. You can read more about the other options in this section here.
The SMTP Settings will vary, depending upon where your email is hosted. If you are uncertain as to the settings you should use for any of these, you can contact the company that hosts your email to provide. If you use Outlook, Mac Mail or another email client, you should also be able to find this information within the account settings for your email account.
If Redtail hosts your email on our Zimbra platform, this section might look like the below for you after completion (though your SMTP Username and SMTP Password would be unique to your email address):
After entering all your information here, click Save Preferences in the top right corner of the Email Options box.
You should then be able to utilize the Broadcast Email functionality within Redtail.