With the Zimbra Collaboration Suite version 7+, the accompanying Zimbra Connector for Outlook (ZCO) has the ability to check for updates. For versions of the ZCO prior to 7.0, they do not include this functionality. For users utilizing a version earlier than 7.0, you will need to uninstall the current version of the ZCO then reinstall the most recent version of the ZCO in order to gain access to any new features and benefits. The process of uninstalling the current version located on your computer and installing the latest version will not create any issues. The Zimbra data store and profile will remain intact.
To verify the version of the ZCO currently installed on your computer, follow the steps below:
If using Outlook 2010, you will go to Zimbra —> About Zimbra:
If using Outlook 2007, you will go to Help —> About Zimbra Connector for Outlook:
In the resulting dialog, you'll see Client: followed by a version number. This field represents the version of the ZCO you have. If it begins with a 6, you will want to upgrade to the newest version.
If you find that your version of the ZCO is a version prior to 7, you can then proceed with the process of uninstalling the ZCO.
To do so:
Close Outlook on your computer.
After closing Outlook, you will need to access your Control Panel. To do this, you will select the Start button then select Control Panel from the pane to the right.
After the Control Panel appears, you will want to select Uninstall a Program.
Note: The view on the Control Panel may vary depending on which View by: option is chosen (in our example we are using the Category view located in the upper-right)
A new window will appear. This window will begin populating the programs that are currently installed on your computer. You will want to locate the ZCO connector within the list of programs. It may display as VMWare Zimbra Connector for Microsoft Outlook, ZCS Zimbra Connector for Microsoft Outlook or another similar variation. To uninstall the program, you will right-click on the program and select Uninstall from the drop-down menu that appears.
After selecting to uninstall, you will see a series of prompts. You may be prompted to verify that you do wish to uninstall the program, followed by additional prompts that will show the progress of the uninstall.
Once complete, the progress box will disappear and so will the program from your programs list:
Now that the previous version of the ZCO has been removed, you can proceed with installing the newest version. Please be sure to review the Client Requirements prior to proceeding with the Setup Process to ensure that your version of Outlook is supported.
Supported Versions of Microsoft Outlook
- For Outlook 2003 users: Client computers must have Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 SP3 or later installed.
- For Outlook 2007 users: Client computers must have Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 SP2 or later installed.
- For Outlook 2010 users: 32-bit and 64-bit are supported. Note: “Click to run” versions of Outlook 2010 are not supported
- For Outlook 2013 users: 32-bit and 64-bit are supported.
Supported Versions of Windows
- ZCO supports Windows XP with required updates, Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.
Some important notes to consider when preparing to install the ZCO are:
- ZCO installations working with older versions of Outlook require updating or reinstalling if Outlook is upgraded to Outlook 2013.
- If you are running the McAfee Security On-Delivery E-mail Scanner feature, the initial sync might be very slow. To speed up the process, turn off this option before installing ZCO and your initial synchronization.
- Before you begin the installing process, verify that you have the correct password for your Redtail-hosted Email account.
Follow the instructions for the ZCS Connector for Outlook Setup Wizard:
Next, agree to the terms by selecting the top radio button. Then, click Next:
Confirm the installation by clicking Next:
As the MAPI Connector installs, you will see the following progress bar:
Click Close when the installation finishes:
After the ZCO has been installed, re-launch Microsoft Outlook.
After Outlook opens, your account should appear the same as it did prior to the steps you have taken above.