Zimbra offers their own desktop email client that you might be interested in if you're a Redtail Email subscriber on our Zimbra mail servers. It is a free, cross-platform tool (Windows, Mac and Linux). Zimbra Desktop synchronizes directly to the server and also allows you to add non-Zimbra email accounts including Yahoo and Gmail. You can also configure your Redtail-hosted email account as a MAPI account, which will allow you to sync email, contacts and calendar items between Zimbra Desktop and your iPhone or Android-based smartphone using ActiveSync.
Below you will find a feature list, system requirements, compatible platforms and a detailed outline of the installation and setup process for Redtail-hosted email accounts.
- General: No email storage limit, tagging system for all features, powerful filtering system.
- Email: Connect to most POP/IMAP accounts (including Exchange IMAP), supports plain text and HTML composition, on-line and off-line composition and access.
- Calendar: Syncs Zimbra, Yahoo! Mail, and Gmail email calendars, manages multiple calendars, imports iCal calendars, invites others to meetings and events.
- Contacts: Syncs Zimbra, Yahoo! Mail, and Gmail email contacts, creates groups, adds photos to contacts
- Documents/Tasks/Briefcase: Edits documents, tracks to-do progress, saves attachments in briefcase.
- Social Networking: Link Facebook and Twitter Accounts to view your feed streams, compose tweets and facebook statuses from within the Desktop.
Your Computer Requirements:
The following are minimum hardware requirements for installing and running Zimbra Desktop:
- At least 200MB free disk space is required to install the software
- Additional disk space is required to download account data.
- At least 512MB free memory is required to run Zimbra Desktop.
- Java® software, or Java Runtime Environment (JRE), latest version
installed on your system.
Note: For Windows (64-bit) user need to have JRE(64-bit)
- The computer must have network connectivity at account set up and to
synchronize accounts with servers.
The following platforms are supported:
- Microsoft Windows®:
Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Windows 8 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Windows 8.1 (32-bit and 64-bit)
Windows 10 (32-bit and 64-bit)
- Apple Mac: OS X Yosemite 10.10.x and above
Linux Kernel 2.6.x and above for Intel x86 architecture
A variety of Linux (32-bit, 64-bit) including Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora,
Installation and Setup:
Let's take a look at how you can download, install and configure Zimbra Desktop as a MAPI account.
First, go to Zimbra's Downloads page. There, you will see an area for downloading Zimbra Desktop:
Click the Zimbra Desktop link and then click on the appropriate operating system download link to begin your download. You may then see a message where you'll need to click Run. You'll then see a progress bar as the download occurs:
After download and initialization, you'll see the Zimbra Desktop Setup Wizard - click Next:
Then, accept the License Agreement terms and click Next. Accept the default folder or choose another location where you want Zimbra Desktop installed and click Next:
Click Install to begin the installation:
You'll then see a progress bar as the installation process runs. Click Finish - if you leave "Launch Zimbra Desktop" checked, it will launch after you click Finish:
On your first launch, you will see the following after everything initializes:
You will need to set up your Redtail-hosted email account, so click on the Add New Account button. On the resulting screen, select your Account Type (to configure as a MAPI account, select Zimbra):
You'll then see the following dialog. Below the screenshot you'll see explanations of what to enter into each field:
Account Name: this is up to you.
Email Address: self explanatory
Password: your email account password
Incoming Server: mapi.redtailtechnology.com
Security: check off "SSL." (this is typically the default setting)
After completing, click the Validate and Save button. If successful, you'll see something similar to the below:
Click Launch Desktop to begin working in Zimbra Desktop.