Searching your Database
By selecting criteria then searching for the data that meets your criteria, you are able to filter your Contact records in a way that makes sense in order to achieve a firm goal.
By saving your searches, your firm is then able to get back to the data quickly. This is especially helpful if you are continually searching for the same data set, or if you need data at a specific time of the year (e.g. all Active Contacts with birthdays in April).
Showing all Contacts
One question we frequently receive is, "How can I see all of my Contacts?"
- Simply go to Contacts —> Contacts A-Z from your top navigation menu:
- Click on a letter to see contacts with a last name beginning with that letter:
- Quick Note: If you right-click a contact on your Advanced Search screen (after running an actual search, rather than using the A-Z headers), you'll see you have several right-click options:
Each of these options applies to the contact you've right-clicked on. You can add a new Activity or Note for the contact, go directly to many of the areas of their contact record, send the contact to MoneyGuidePro of LaserApp or delete the contact.
- If you need to see all contacts on one screen, you can simply click inside the Search Contacts box (which is in the top right corner of every screen within your database) and click Enter.
- Once you have the list of contacts pulled up that you are looking for, you can click on a contact's name to access their contact record. Note that when you're within a contact record that you've accessed via Advanced Search (or by sending a Tag Group, Quicklist or report data to Search) that you have buttons over their Contact Card that will allow you to Return to Search Results, access the Previous record in your search results or move on to the Next record in your search results:
Redtail's Advanced Search functionality is one of the most powerful features within the CRM. Advanced Search is accessible under your Contacts menu:
Advanced Search offers:
- Multi-level searches based upon criteria you define.
- Create QuickLists and Tag Groups.
- Produce Exports, Reports, Mail Merges and Labels after running a search.
- Make common changes to multiple contact records at once.
Please note what the Options here mean:
- Field - Use this dropdown box to select the Database Field that you want to search. For a complete list of available Fields and links to using them, see this post.
- Operand - Use this dropdown box to select the logical relationship between your selected Field and the Criteria you will be providing in the next box.
- Criteria - Use this dropdown box to provide the criteria for the Field you're searching.
- And/Or - Build multiple levels to your search. Note: A best practice when using and/or is to put all of your “or” criteria before the “and” criteria in the search.
— And should be used when all conditions need to be met. For example: If you are looking for all of your Active clients who also have a birthday in a specific month (like January), you would search for Client Status Equal To Active AND Birthday Month Equal to January.
— Or should be used when trying to generate a list where individual conditions are met. For example: If you are looking for all of your A and B Clients, you would search for Client Category Equal To A Client OR Client Category Equal to B Client.
Let's take a brief look at QuickLists and Tag Groups:
QuickLists are dynamic groups of contacts from the CRM database based upon defined search criteria.
As an example:
- Say that you wanted to be able to quickly access all Active Contacts within your database over the age of 50. To locate these contacts, you would first need to run an Advanced Search that queried both Contact Status EQUAL To Active and Age GREATER THAN 50. After initially running that Advanced Search, you would then have the option to save the query as a QuickList:
- In the future, if you wanted to see all contacts who meet those search criteria, all you would have to do would be to go to your QuickLists page and right-click your QuickList name for options on that query:
- You can read more about QuickLists here.
Tag Groups are static groupings of contacts, based upon your removal or addition of contacts to the group.
- Tag Groups will only change when you MANUALLY modify them.
- The groups can be set up by navigating to Contacts —> Tag Groups:
- You'll then see any existing Tag Groups within your database as well as an Add link to create a new Tag Group:
Right-clicking any of your existing Tag Groups will give you the options to Send the Tag Group members to your Advanced Search page, Edit the Tag Group Name or Delete the Tag Group (this will not delete the records, but instead only the group):
- To add a new Tag Group, click Add in the header bar, at which point you'll see the below dialog:
Type in a name for you Tag Group (I've called this one "Demo Tag Group." Then, click Create New Tag Group.
- To add contacts to a Tag Group, navigate to their record and scroll to the Common Tasks area:
Click Add to Tag Group. You'll then see a dialog that lists all Tag Groups currently in your database. Those of which the Contact is already a member will have checks next to them and you can place a check next to the Tag Group you now want to add the Contact to. Then, click Add To Tag Group:
- You can read more about Tag Groups here.
Additional Options with Advanced Search Results
After running an Advanced Search (or sending a QuickList or Tag Group to Advanced Search), you have the following dropdown menus to the right of your results (a full writeup on Advanced Search Result Options can be found here):
For any of the selections you make from these pull down menus, your choice will only be applied to contact records by whose name you have placed a check. To select all records, simply click on the top check box located on the left side of the header row in the search results or click the text Select All above the search results:
Let's now look at each of these Result Options menus:
Labels / Envelopes
Redtail has provided a large assortment of Label choices by default that you can apply to merge with your Contact Records. If you don't find a label that meets your need, however, you can always create and upload Label templates of your own.
When you click the arrows in the Labels menu, you'll see your Label options. Below is a small sample:
Just click on your desired Label in order to begin the merge process with your selected records. Below are explanations for what the information next to a particular label means:
- Blank space next to the Label name: One label for each record selected will be generated.
- "Single Sheet" next to the Label name: A full sheet of labels will be generated for EACH record selected.
- "Family Names" next to the Label name: One label for each record selected will be generated but instead of using the contact name, the Family Name will be utilized.
- "Ordered by Zip" next to the Label name: One label for each record selected will be generated, but the output will be grouped by zip code.
Note as well in the Labels menu that there are four options for envelope printing and each option is formatted for a #10 envelope size:
Just click on your desired Envelope in order to begin the merge process with your selected records. Below are explanations for what the information next to a particular envelope means:
- No Return Address - Just the contact address is printed on the envelope. No return address is included.
- Family Names - No Return Address - The contact address is printed using the Family Name field as the name on the envelope. No return address is included on the envelope.
- W/ Return Address - The contact address along with a return address is printed on the envelope. The return address is pulled from the address input by the database owner in their Personal Information section.
- Family Names - W/Return Address - The contact address using the Family Name field as the name on the envelope along with a return address is printed on the envelope. The return address is pulled from the address input by the database owner in their Personal Information section.
There are quite a few different types of exports available here for you to choose from, which you will be able to save or open upon clicking:
The documents available for Mail Merge are documents that you have built and uploaded under Manage Your Account —> Mail Merge Templates:
There are a number of actions available to you here:
- Add to Seminar - choosing this option will allow you to add your selected contacts to a Seminar established within your database, as well as to indicate their Status for that seminar.
- Add to Tag Group - choosing this option will allow you to add your selected contacts to an existing Tag Group within your database.
- Assign Keywords - choosing this option will allow you to add a Keyword to your selected contacts in bulk.
- Bulk Contact Category Change - choosing this option will allow you to change the Contact Category for your selected contacts in bulk.
- Bulk Contact Source Change - choosing this option will allow you to change the Contact Source for your selected contacts in bulk.
- Bulk Contact Status Change - choosing this option will allow you to change the Contact Status for your selected contacts in bulk.
- Bulk Note Entry - choosing this option will allow you to create one Note, assign it a Category, and save the same Note to your selected contacts in bulk.
- Bulk Workflow Assignment - choosing this option will allow you to assign one of your Workflow Processes to your selected contacts in bulk.
- Combine Selected Contacts - choosing this option will allow you to combine multiple contact records into one record. You can read more about combining records here.
- Create Marketing Library Document - choosing this option will allow you to create a Marketing Library document (if you are a subscriber to Marketing Library) for use with your selected contacts.
- Delete Selected Contacts - choosing this option will allow you to delete your selected contacts in bulk.
- Disable Birthday Reminders - choosing this option will allow you to disable birthday reminders for your selected contacts in bulk.
- Enable Birthday Reminders - choosing this option will allow you to enable birthday reminders for your selected contacts in bulk.
There are quite a few different types of Reports available here for you to choose from, which you will be able to open upon clicking: