Whether you are looking to produce a Label or Envelope for an individual or a group of clients, you can perform this action from your Advanced Search page (Contacts --> Search). So, your first question might be how to get your desired contacts to the Advanced Search page to run Labels / Envelopes for them. This can be accomplished in several ways, which we’ll describe below:
1. Run an Advanced Search using your desired search parameters.
2. Send a QuickList to Advanced Search. QuickLists are search queries you’ve previously run and saved. They are accessible by clicking on QuickLists in your bottom navigation menu and then selecting the QuickList you want to work with:
3. Send a Tag Group to Advanced Search. Tag Groups are groups of contact records which you’ve manually created. They are accessible under Contacts --> Tag Groups. From your Tag Groups page, you can right-click on the Tag Group you want to work with and click Send to Search.
After you've run your Advanced Search (or sent a Tag Group or Quicklist to the Advanced Search page), you'll see the below options to the right of your list of contacts:
Just click the arrow at the end of the Labels pulldown menu to see your Label options:
You can see Redtail offers a number of default, commonly used Label choices, as well as some Envelope templates at the bottom of this list. To clarify what each of these represent:
Avery 5160 - Selecting this option would open up a Word document with one Label for each record in your search results.
Avery 5160 - Single Sheet - Selecting this option would open up a Word document with a Single Sheet of labels for each record in your search results.
Avery 5160 - Family Names - Selecting this option would open up a Word document with one Label for each record in your search results, but would include the Family Name indicated in their record rather than their individual name.
Avery 5160 - Ordered by Zip Code - This option is only available with the Avery 5160 labels and will order your Labels alphabetically within Zip Codes, rather than just alphabetically.
Otherwise, the Label choices are the same for the rest of the Label style numbers. You can create Custom Labels for use within Redtail, but these will show up in the Mail Merge menu on your Advanced Search page, rather than in the Labels menu.
After you've verified which Label template you would like to use, you can click its name from this list. After downloading and/or opening your Labels in Microsoft Word, you can then print them out for your use.
Note as well in the Labels menu that there are four options for envelope printing and each option is formatted for a #10 envelope size:
Just click on your desired Envelope in order to begin the merge process with your selected records. Below are explanations for what the information next to a particular envelope means:
- No Return Address - Just the contact address is printed on the envelope. No return address is included.
- Family Names - No Return Address - The contact address is printed using the Family Name field as the name on the envelope. No return address is included on the envelope.
- W/ Return Address - The contact address along with a return address is printed on the envelope. The return address is pulled from the address input by the database owner in their Personal Information section.
- Family Names - W/Return Address - The contact address using the Family Name field as the name on the envelope along with a return address is printed on the envelope. The return address is pulled from the address input by the database owner in their Personal Information section. (Note: at this time your Database Owner will need to enter this information within Redtail Classic — for instructions on allowing temporary access to Classic to make this update, please see this post).
One final note: you will need to select the contacts you want included in your Labels or Envelopes by placing checks next to their names prior to selecting your Label. If you want to include all contacts, you can just place a check next to the Name box directly above your first contact prior to selecting your Label/Envelope: